Clarence Road comes off Palmerston Street at the traffic
lights and heads up the hill beside the canal to Clarence Mill
and on into the double cul de sac of Clarence Terrace.
The road was purpose built to serve the mill and the two large
mill owner's houses, Rock Bank and Limefields. Rock Bank Rise
(picture below) is a short cul de sac of larger houses
built in the early 2000s behind Rock Bank House with commanding
views over the village.
Approach off Palmerston Street.
Leads to Rock Bank Rise, Clarence Terrace.
Nearest shops - Palmerston Street.
Nearest pubs - Holly Bush, Dog & Partridge.
Council Ward - Central.
View Larger Map / Street View | Google maps assistance
There are two notable houses in Clarence Road. The first
is Rock Bank House (below), now converted into apartments and,
very regrettably, re-named Carterbench House. The other is
Limefield House, a big Victorian house which cannot be seen
from a public place.
In the wooded area beside the lower part of Clarence Road
there is a stone lined channel which appears out of a sough
at the top and turns at the bottom to disappear under the road
and canal embankment. This is a water course used solely for
flushing water from the canal into the river. It is used only
when it is necessary to drain the length of canal over the
embankment. It is not a canal overflow so don't be alarmed
if it appears to be obstructed.
|Rock Bank House (left) with Clarence Mill chimney behind. This
house was used as a sanatorium during WWI and WWII where many
injured servicemen were brought to recover from their wounds.
In more modern times (1990s) the building was used for a short
time as an office by a toy design company called Carterbench
and unfortunately their name stuck during the re-development.
Clarence Terrace (left) is two cul de sacs of brick semi-detached and terraced houses built behind Clarence Mill in the early 20th century for some of those who worked in the mill. No doubt the different sizes of property reflected the status in the cotton mill of those living in them.
In past times Clarence Road was known as Clarence Brow and you may still hear this name used by older members of the community. Read about brows on a special page.
The new Clarence footbridge 26A across the Macclesfield Canal
was built in 2009 at the top of Clarence Road, just before
the mill. There
are special pages for this.
The links are to the Images of England web site provided by English Heritage.
II, Formerly a house occupied by members of the Swindells family,
later a war time hospital, then offices (as Carterbench House),
now apartments. Built for Martin
Swindells I, c1840 (but he died before its completion). Not
Mill, Clarence Road; II,
Cotton Mill, core built c.1830, extensively extended until 1920.
Limefield House; II, House built c.1830 for Joseph Brooke, one of the developers of Clarence Mill. Not publicly accessible.
Stables at Limefield House; II, Stables and coach house built with the house c.1830. Not publicly accessible.