The Rookery is a fine house on Bollington Road,
the last on the right going towards Macclesfield. It has
been re-furbished and divided into six units in 2004-06.
The house was probably built by, and occupied at one time
by, the Antrobus family who
built several of the early mills in Bollington including Lowerhouse in
1818. In 1832 we believe the house to have been occupied
by William Crosley, the engineer and builder of the Macclesfield
then being completed.
At that time, 1830s, the house was smaller, extending (see
lower picture left) from the right side as far as the gutter
down pipe to the left of centre, the extension having been
added at a later date.
By 1851 Peter Brooke, Cotton Merchant, age 76, had retired
to the house, seemingly a widower having two servants to