This page provides a consolidated list of
listed buildings and other historic items. It also includes
those structures noted in the Cheshire East Supplementary Planning
Document (SPD) which covers all structures that should be considered
valuable to the local environment but do not meet the criteria
for formal Listing. These are highlighted in the table below
by the SPD acronym. All items are also noted on their relevant street
together with buildings protected by Conservation Areas and Article
4 Directives. The street names below are linked to their relevant
street page. Most links in the listed items are to the Images of
England web site provided by Historic England (HE). II indicates
Grade II listing. Other
forms of heritage protection.
(SPD) Bollington Conservative Club (now offices for the Bollington
Group, Adlington House); Mid 19th century Gothic.
Mill, Albert Road;
II, Cotton mill built by Philip
Antrobus, 1818, later occupied by Samuel
Mill Cottage, Albert Road;
II, Formerly a farmhouse and barn, now 2 houses: 17thC. Not
Parish boundary stone; II, in fields north of Lowerhouse Mill, early 19thC. Not publicly accessible.
Parish boundary stone; II, in fields northeast of Lowerhouse Mill, early 19thC. Not publicly accessible.
1, 1A, 3, 5 and 5A Beeston Brow; II, Formerly 3 houses with weaving lofts above: early 19thC.
Orchard House, 7 Bollington Road;
II, Formerly a farmhouse, now a house: early 17thC, with early
20thC alterations to the facade.
St. Oswald's Church; II, Built 1908.
Barley Grange, 9 Bollington Road;
II, Formerly a farmhouse and farmbuilding now house: early 17thC
Cock & Pheasant
II, Formerly a house and cottages.
Stables at 101 Bollington Road;
II, Stables and coach house: c.1820.
Turner Health House, 103 Bollington Road; II, Early 18thC origins, rebuilt c.1780.
10 & 12 Bollington Road;
II, Formerly a doctor's house and surgery, now a house and shop.
50 & 52 Bollington Road; II, Pair of cottages, late 18thC/early 19thC.
John's Church, Church Street;
II, Built 1832-34 by Hayley and Brown for the Church Commissioners.
A history of this church is available from the Discovery
Centre in the book by the Revd Betts, Bollington Through
II, Formerly a house occupied by members of the Swindells family,
later a war time hospital, then offices (as Carterbench House),
now apartments. Built for Martin
Swindells I, c1840 (but he died
before its completion). Not publicly accessible.
Mill, Clarence Road; II,
Cotton Mill, core built c.1830, extensively extended until
Limefield House; II, House built c.1830 for Joseph Brooke, one of the developers of Clarence Mill. Not publicly accessible.
Stables at Limefield House; II, Stables and coach house built with the house c.1830. Not publicly accessible.
Briar Cottage, 4 Clarke Lane;
II, Formerly two cottages, now a house: dated 1630 on the deeds.
attached to Cold Arbour farmhouse;
II, Formerly a corn barn, now includes a shippon and garage, 16thC. Not
Cold Arbour Farmhouse, Clarke Lane; II, 16thC origins. Not publicly accessible.
Arbour Barn, Clarke Lane;
II, 16thC origins. Not publicly accessible.
II, Formerly two weavers' cottages, now a public house, dated 1843.
bridge No.29, over Macclesfield Canal, Clarke Lane;
II, c.1830 by William Crosley, engineer.
Canal milestone south of bridge 29, Clarke Lane; II, c.1830 by William
Endon Lodge, Clarke Lane; II, Formerly a lodge now a house, built c.1850. Not publicly accessible.
(SPD) Greg Fountain; Unveiled in 1904 in memory of Samuel Greg.
Bank mill chimney, Green Lane;
II, early 19thC, was the high level chimney for Oak Bank Mill.
Rose Cottage, 58 Grimshaw Lane; II, Formerly a farmhouse now a house: 17thC with 19thC alterations.
Canal aqueduct over Grimshaw Lane;
II, c.1830 by William
Adelphi Mill; II, Cotton mill, 1856, by Swindells brothers (not yet
noted on Historic England web site).
II, located a few metres north from the canal access, c.1830.
8A, 10, 12 & 14 High Street and 1 to 5 Mill Cottages and workshop in Watson's Yard; II, A warehouse, two shops and a cottage on the street front and five cottages and a workshop complex to the rear.
Canal bridge no.27 under Hurst Lane;
II, built c.1830 by William Crosley,
II, in the wall at Ivy House, late 18thC, early 19thC.
stone, Ingersley Road;
II, in the wall opposite the Poachers Inn, early 19thC.
II, close to the barn at Sowcar Farm, c.early 19thC. Not publicly accessible.
There is a further stone on a field edge not far from this parish stone
which has not been listed.
II, early 17thC.
Barn at Sowcar Farm;
II, Corn barn, late 17thC.
II, stone trough at the side of Sowcar Farm barn, dated 1692.
White Nancy; II, Folly, formerly a summerhouse, built by John Gaskell Jr., 1817.
II, built for Edward Collier, Ingersley Vale Mill, dated 1800.
II, formerly a home built for Joseph Brooke Jr. in 1870, now a hotel.
(SPD) Lowther Street School; Mid 19th century Gothic style School House.
1 Moss Brow; II, House with 17thC core.
9 Moss Brow; II, Farmhouse, 17thC.
II, Formerly part of a farmhouse, late 17thC. Originally an extension
to 9 Moss Brow.
Cottage, Moss Brow:
II, formally a barn, 18thC.
38 Oak Lane;
II, Formerly two houses now a house, built later 18thC.
Stables at Endon Hall; II, Stables and coach house for William Clayton, c.1835. Not publicly accessible.
Canal bridge no.28;
II, adjacent to Beehive Cottage (pedestrian access via Dawson Farm
drive or through Tinkers Clough from Clough Bank), c.1830 by William
Macclesfield Canal dry dock; II, at bottom end of the 'Rally' Road, Drydock and wet dock: c.1830.
(SPD) Kerridge War Memorial; Private war memorial constructed by
the people of Kerridge.
Canal aqueduct over Palmerston Street;
II, Built c.1830 by William
quarter mile stone;
II, small stone 20m north of aqueduct on towpath. Note that EH page
pictures the wrong stone.
II, Converted to present form c.1935 and is one of few examples
of an urban pub from the inter-wars years. This building has been
listed in March 2014 in order to protect it and its notable interior.
Interior not publicly accessible until it re-opens as a pub. (Not
yet noted on Historic England web site.)
(SPD) Bollington War Memorial; 1920, A sandstone cross set in
(SPD) 81 & 83 Palmerston Street; A pair of mid 19th century,
double fronted, semi-detached houses.
16, 18, 20 & 22 Queen Street;
II, Terrace of four cottages, 18thC.
boundary stone, Shrigley Road;
II, 18thC. The original stone was seriously damaged in a road accident
and has been replaced in June 2009 with a new and larger stone bearing
the same inscription as the original - S (Shrigley) on one face, B (Bollington)
on the other. The stone stands at an angle to the road because the boundary
crosses the road at that angle!
The Vicarage, Shrigley Road; II, 1898 by Ernest Newton. Not publicly accessible.
Parish boundary stone; II, in fields northeast of Nab, early c.18th/19thC. Not publicly accessible.
Sugar Lane (Adlington)
bridge No.26, over Macclesfield Canal, Sugar Lane;
II, c.1830 by William Crosley,
II, Formerly Whittaker's flour bag mill.
(SPD) Water Street School; A redundant 1846 Victorian Wesleyan
School now owned by Bollington
Initiative Trust and
used for community purposes.
Bollington Hall Farmhouse, 83 Wellington Road; II, 16thC origins.
Church, Wellington Road;
II, 1886 by William Waddington of Manchester. History
(SPD) Railway viaduct; 1869, part of the Macclesfield, Bollington
& Marple railway, now the Middlewood Way.
(SPD) 55-63 Wellington Road; Mid 19th
century Gothic terraced houses.
(SPD) Brook House and Outbuilding,
53 Wellington Road; C.1860 handsome double-fronted Victorian house,
with Stucco render.
(SPD) The Manse, 27 Wellington Road; stone Victorian vicarage.
4, 6 & 8 Turret Cottages, Windmill Lane; II, Formerly two cottages and a smithy, now three cottages, c.1840 for William Clayton.
II, 19thC, part of William Clayton's coal mining business.
Kiln, Windmill Lane; II, Potash or lime kiln, probably late 18thC.
II, dividing two quarries on Kerridge Hill, 1830. Not publicly
Other forms of protection
'Listing' is the process used by Historic England to establish protection
over the most valuable examples of our built heritage. Strict rules apply to
such buildings with respect to alteration, additions and the need to apply
for listed building consent as well as the usual planning permission. Listing
also protects the interior of the buildings where relevant.
A lesser level of protection is provided by Conservation Area designation.
Again stricter planning controls exist to maintain the look and feel of a heritage
area. Specific buildings within a Conservation Area may be issued with an Article
4 Directive to provide a more specific protection to the front, sides, and
roof of the building. Article
4 Directives apply only to the outside of the building. They can be used to
regulate styles and materials in windows and doors, and the colours used. External
finishes are also controlled. Conservation
Areas in Bollington and Kerridge are discussed in full on their own pages,
and the relevant properties are noted on the street
Cheshire East Council planners also maintain a list of buildings
over which special care should be exercised when they become the subject
of a planning application.